Monday, April 1, 2013

April showers!!

Woah, it's April!?  Cool!  The sun, melting snow, and warmer temperatures are very welcome in Minnesota.  I'm hoping this means coats can get put away for the year...but then again, this is Minnesota so we should probably keep them handy until late May.

This is the last day of my spring break and so far I've mostly spent it working a presentation on Buddy Holly.  It's been kind of depressing.  WHY did you charter that flight?!?!  WHY did Roger Peterson fly on his day off?!  WHY didn't the airport warn them of the conditions?!?  WHY couldn't they let someone who knew how to fly in such conditions take the flight!??!  Clearly I get way too involved in research.  I am happy I did this project though because I feel very inspired by Buddy Holly's short career.  Here was someone who didn't conform to norms: a rock and roll star with thick glasses, an interest and appreciation of music of the African American despite growing up in ultra-segregated West Texas, and who didn't give up when things didn't go smoothly.  His family was supportive of his rock and roll interests - band practices often took place in their living room with a drum set seeming like part of the furniture.  Mrs. Holley (the actual spelling of his name) fostered his appreciation of other types of music and would sing along with Ray Charles records.  After late night gigs, she'd stay up and make Buddy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, calling it their "jam session."  He really was just a kid...and right now I'm 7 years older than he was when the plane went down.  It's inspiring and daunting really.  Well, just a presentation tomorrow and then on to the next project!

Spring break gave me a chance to get stuff done, but not as much as I would have liked.  Of course, this is when I happened to get sick.  This made me incredibly frustrated!!  Poor Johnny had to put up with this...I felt like the grumpy cat.
photo compliments of my photoshop-genius fiance

The only gig I really had was the Minnesota Bluegrass Band at Whiskey Junction.  Big thank you to everyone who came out and especially everyone on stage that put up with grumpy-cat-Krueger!

Things are starting to pick up this week once again!  Friday I've been asked to sit in with Useful Jenkins at the Nomad in Minneapolis!  The show starts around 9 or 9:30 with May North, UJ is second and the night ends with Horseshoes and Handgrenades.....direct from STEVENS POINT, WISCONSIN!!!!  SP represent!!  If you're on the St. Paul side of town Friday, head to the Wild Tymes to check out a super band put together just for fun!  My sweetheart, Johnny Kozak will be singing along with good friends from Luke Warm and the Cool Hands and more.  I hear they're doing "St. James Infirmary" which makes me SUPER jealous!  Wild Tymes is a cool place - go see them because I can't!

Saturday, I'll be at McNally Smith College of Music all day assisting and participating in Strings Fest!  Workshops will be presented by Matt Turner (cello), Brian Wicklund - fiddle extraordinaire, and my teacher, Randy Sabien.  This will be so much fun!  8:30-3:30, comment or email me for more info!!  While this is going on, again my sweetheart will be further east, this time in River Falls, WI for the River Falls Roots and Bluegrass Festival.  He'll be competing as a flatpicker and also in the songwriting competition.  It kills me that I can't be there to sing and play with him, so if you are not a string player and are interested in cheering him on and seeing Pert' Near Sandstone, head on out!  www.RiverFallsBluegrass.com  i like you is also playing that night, but I think it may be a private party so no details on that.  Hush hush!  Just wait until Sunday....

Where my gnomies at!?!?!
i like you. RETURNS to The Happy Gnome on Sunday, April 7th!!!  A great venue, amazing food, and all in good old St. Paul!!  We play around 7, but come early to grab a table!  We typically play here once a month, but we've had some time off so I hope everyone is as excited as we are to be back!  Free show!!!!  I can't wait to be back!!

I think that's all!!  One more shout out to Stevens Point - Teresa W. was the first to subscribe to my blog!!  She's been a huge supporter of all kinds of music for ages, she used to call in to chat on Thursday mornings when I was a DJ at WWSP and then I had a chance to play at her church and meet her very musical husband as well.  Wow, sometimes it seems long ago and sometimes it seems like yesterday.  Thanks for still keeping in touch after all these years, Teresa!



No comments:

Post a Comment